Compensation and Classification
The Compensation and Classification team strives to serve the departments and personnel at Utah State University by performing the following tasks:
- Reviews requests to establish new positions and recommends assignment of the appropriate classification (job title) including whether the position is non-exempt or exempt from provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act regarding paying of overtime.
- Reviews requests to evaluate existing positions to determine whether a change in classification is appropriate.
- Reviews proposed salary increases for employees in executive, administrative, and staff positions if the proposed salary increase is above the midpoint of the salary range.
- Reviews hiring offers to candidates when the proposed salary is above the midpoint of the salary range.
- Provides processes, guidelines, advice, and counsel to assist management in making individual pay decisions.
- Maintains a list of classification titles (e.g. creates new titles, eliminates obsolete titles, etc.)
- Prepares job descriptions and maintains online repository of such documents.
- Participates in comprehensive annual salary surveys and determines which USU jobs adequately match survey jobs to use as benchmark jobs.
- Periodically updates the Salary Grade Table and other elements of the salary structure.